8th March - Spring Ball at Haigh Hall

We had a fairly good journey down the East Lancs Road to the Travelodge today. The only problem came in the last 500 yards when my directions failed me and I had to ask for help at the local pub. Eventually we found the hotel behind the petrol station. When we arrived at the hotel and spoke to the receptionist we were told that the postcode on the website is wrong which is why we had a problem!
We decided to have a snack at the Little Chef as I didn't reckon I could last until 9pm with no food. I had a toasted sandwich and Brian had steak pie (not exactly a snack, but I don't reckon it will spoil his appetite!)
After this we returned to our rooms to get ready. We ordered a taxi to take us to the hall. When we arrived we were offered glasses of champagne. We had a brief walk around before going into the main dining room which looked very impressive.When a good number had arrived, Sue - the salsa teacher and her crew began their lesson. She taught us a few simple merengue and salsa moves. It looked like everyone enjoyed the dancing - they were certainly keen to join in. After the lesson the band started to play. I had a couple of dances with Chris. Robin decided to practise the salsa moves he had just learnt with me and we did some jiving too. Chris also had a go at doing "Double trouble" (two girls dancing with one guy) with Caroline and me.
Eventually it was announced that the buffet was ready. We were pleased to see that our table was the first to be called up. There was a good selection of meat and salads followed by creme brulee or fruit salad for dessert.
After the meal the band played again. I danced with Chris and Peter. At the end of the evening I had a dance with Tim too. We took a taxi back to the hotel with Joanne and Heather who we met at November's dinner dance.
All in all it was a brilliant evening - I think everyone agreed it was a success.

No comments: